Having lived in the UK for most of my adult life, I miss the taste of home often. I don’t mind a ham or a turkey sandwich but nothing really spices up my day like an afternoon treat of Chilli Cheese Sandwich. This makes a great lunch, a snack or a meal for kids too! Let me know what you think! And don’t forget to make it your own by adjusting ingredients and amounts.
What you’ll need:
4 slices Sandwich bread
2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
2 Ripe Vine Tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 Green Chillies, finely chopped (optional)
75-100 grams, grated cheese, this could be any cheese you like, I prefer a Cheddar and Red Leicester combo
For the spice powder:
1 pinch of the following
Mango Powder (Aam Choor)
For the chutney:
75g Mint Leaves
50g Coriander Leaves
1 green chilli
¼ red onion
¼inch piece of ginger (or ginger paste)
A pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar
1 tsp of lemon juice
- Grind all the ingredients for the chutney and set aside
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients under spice powder and set aside
- Spread butter or margarine on BOTH sides of each bread slice.
- On two of the slices, spread the chutney evenly, then add a few slices of the onion. Using your fingers, sprinkle some of the spice powder over this evenly.
- Add a few slices of tomatoes followed by more sprinkling of the spice powder.
- Then the chillies, please note, chillies are optional. You don’t need to add them if you don’t want to!
- Lastly, generously top with the grated cheese followed by another sprinkling of the spice powder.
- Now place the other buttered slice of bread on top of each of the sandwiches.
- Either place in a toaster (or sandwich maker) or a good old frying pan until the cheese melts and becomes gooey.
Serve on its own, with salad or fries. Enjoy!